Q: I’ve never sailed, canoed or hiked before – can I come to Camp Icthus?
A: Yes! Many campers have never canoed, sailed or hiked before they come to camp. We cater for all skill levels in our activities.
Q: What clothes /equipment do I need to bring to camp?
A: Click here for the list we send to all campers, but here’s a general idea of things to bring to camp:Bring clothes for all weather conditions – while it is summer the nights can get cold and you never know when we might get rain.
- We recommend lots of lightweight clothes that you can layer to keep warm.You’ll need to bring some clothes that are OK to get wet and dirty – don’t bring your best clothes, we have lots of black sand and most of your clothes will get wet at some stage too.
- A pure wool jumper is recommended as it will keep you warm when it gets wet. A fleece jumper is also good as it is warm, lightweight and will dry quickly if it gets wet.
- Bring some shoes (not just thongs) that are OK to get wet – as you’ll need to wear shoes in the boats and in some swimming spots. A pair of sturdy shoes is also essential to walk in – these shouldn’t be the ones that you have brought to get wet – walking in wet shoes is uncomfortable and likely to cause blisters.
- Bring a sleeping bag and pillow – doonas are not suitable, as we camp outdoors some nights.
- A light weight rain coat is strongly recommended.
- A sun hat and sunscreen are essential, as is insect repellent to repel mosquitoes.
- If you have a hiking backpack (not a school-size backpack) bring that too. If you don’t have one, we have some spare ones you can borrow.
Q: When do I need to pay for camp?
A: A $50 deposit is requested when you apply for camp, along with $40 for the train fare. The remaining fee is due early in December. Please contact our Summer Camps Co-ordinator if you are having financial difficulties, as alternative arrangements can be made.
Q: Do you run camps during the mid-year school holidays?
A: No. As our camps are run by volunteers, who generally give up their own holidays to lead on camps, we are only able to offer camps in January each year.
Q: I would like to support Camp Icthus by putting some information into our newsletter/on our noticeboard/writing in the sky with a plane… Do you have something I can download?
A: Certainly! Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll send you some material.
Q: I’m thinking of coming to camp by myself and I am nervous about making friends…
A: No problem! Campers always come away from Icthus with a big group of new friends. Many of our current leadership team is still closest friends with those people that they camped with when they were 12.